Tuesday 4 September 2012

"No, I am not good..."


Today, I read a story to my kids, which is about a girl who wins the best student award for her good behaviour. After a series of activities and question-answers, I asked them to scribble their thoughts on this one last question: Do you think you are a good person? Why or why not? Now this is not an easy question to answer even for, us, adults.

To my utter surprise, almost everyone wrote no! And when I read their reasons, it made me chuckle.

"No, because I didn't come to school on time today."
"No, because I don't wish good morning to all teachers."
"No, because I didn't complete my home work on time."
"No, because I spanked Siddhi in recess."
"No, because I don't come to school daily."
"No, because I don't pray to God everyday."

Reading their answers, I wondered how growing-up takes away all our innocence and simplicity. We are obsessed with the idea of pointing out follies in others and cannot stand getting criticized by anyone. We conveniently reject the idea of looking at the mirror.

The kids, they have so much beauty. It gets reflected in their honesty and purity. How I wish it could be preserved forever.


4 comments:

  1. Wish we could preserve than innocence for ever within us.Wonderful thoughts in action over here.Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a bad mood but this post really made my day.. Love your work :-)
      ~Shubhra

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. It matters when you comment or appreciate. :)

      Delete