Saturday 30 June 2012

On Spirituality

Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to attend a talk by Arun Kapur, Director of Vasant Valley School, on his views on an excellent education. According to him, an excellent education is a combination of a number of favourable factors for a child, which includes spirituality. This intrigued many of us, as usually we think of a strong academic background and a keen interest in sports and extra-curricular activities as indicators of an excellent education. On the night of that talk, I reflected on his ideas, and began to question my own spirituality. Was I spiritual enough? Was I in a position to teach spirituality to my kids? If not, then what will I do about it?  With those thoughts, I joined a spiritual camp to discover myself completely, shed away the worries and stresses of everyday life, and connect strongly with my soul. 

Today I had a wonderful discussion with a couple of special friends about the lessons I learned at that spiritual camp and we all felt that we were already familiar with most of those lessons. Yet, we get distracted from  the negativity of competition, comparison, attachment, expectations, anger, greed, envy and hostility. We tend to undermine those finer values and mindsets that matter the most. We lose our human touch. It, therefore, becomes supremely important to keep a company of inspired and positive people who do not let you fall, and provide you with reassurance that you are on the right track. Even more importantly, we must realize that we are all spiritual beings who need to feed our souls whilst enjoying this human experience.




7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conversation filled me with tranquility and it recapitulated my earlier lessons.And true you are: we are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more that to keep company of inspired people around oneself.It certainly helps. Interesting post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I appreciate that you took out time to comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positivism is the trick, I could not agree more :)

    ReplyDelete