Wednesday 11 July 2012

Thinking of Farheen

Farheen was one of my brightest, most effervescent and participative student. She outperformed the other kids in class both academically and non-academically. She was a gifted artist, a talented singer and a member of our school's choir group. She also danced well and always participated in school events. Unlike some of the other kids, she was very inquisitive and wanted to know everything. She also picked up things really fast.

Farheen left school at the end of the last academic year. She has permanently shifted to her village with her family and has no plans to come back. When I got to know about her leaving school, I was shocked and upset. She used to burst into tears whenever I or somebody else interrogated about this. She was really attached to the school, classroom, her classmates and friends, and me.

Alvi and Gulfatima, her cousins, who are also my students, recently went to their village, the same village where Farheen now lives. As I met Alvi and Gulfatima in school two days back, they told me about their experiences of visiting their village and also mentioned about Farheen. The latter had sent a message for me, for some of her close friends in class as well as one message for all the students: to not fight with each other and listen to bhaiya, as she used to fondly call me.

I can only pray to God that she receives the kind of education and upbringing she deserves to, and grows on to become a teacher, which is her ambition in life.

1 comment: