Thursday 3 January 2013

The Day I Failed To Inspire


One day I was returning from a library in a bus, when I saw three college students eve-teasing a north-eastern girl, who was sitting two seats away from my seat. They kept staring at and passing lewd comments on her. I looked around the bus and saw that nobody seemed to care about the revolting event going on right in front of their eyes, not even the middle-aged, fatherly bus conductor. I was livid and wanted to intervene but I feared my own safety; I feared being attacked by those boys and absolutely no one turning to me for help.

Every time I think of that incident, I die a little bit inside. It makes me feel sick to think that I could not be of help to that poor girl that afternoon. I wanted to help but was too scared to risk my own safety. This is the attitude that needs to change. If you cannot rectify things that are within your control, you have no right to complain. Be brave. Stand up for the right things and against the wrong people and acts. Let your voice be heard. Inspire others through your morals, courage and determination. Be the change you wish to see. 

1 comment:

  1. one afternoon i was travelling in a bus ...It was fully crowded but i got a seat ,some of my friends still standing..In the next stop few more people entered the bus and in them there was also a pregnant lady and her sister holding a month's baby in her hands bus started there is no place even to stand and these poor ladies were very inconvenient...i just look around if some men could share their seat for these ladies ..nobody were willing to ...i tried to take the baby in her hands but the kid was crying a lot so i decided to share my seat i stood up allowed the pregnant lady to sit and she took the baby from her sister's arms everything was ok ...........but the problem started for me i was surrounded by men from all sides and they started pushing ,touching, in between ticket collector moving here nd there being a women i suffered that day for the small help .............i would be very happy if one men was willing to share his seat for me that day....................Real respect towards women comes from these simple things

    ReplyDelete